[mythtv-users] Installation of the backend without X

Graham Wood mythtv-users at spam.dragonhold.org
Wed Mar 1 14:28:10 UTC 2006

On Wed, March 1, 2006 14:21, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> You don't have to have it running, just installed, boot with init level
> 3 to start without X
That depends on the version of linux you are using - some of them use the
init levels to mean different things.  E.g. on a debian box xdm/gdm/kdm
will be started at init 3.  (And if we want to go further afield, init 5
which used to start X on redhat derivitives, and probably still does, will
power down a sun box)

> And regarding disk space, if you can't handle a few meg of X libraries
> and executables on a system designed to hold gigabytes of information,
> then something is wrong.
This depends on your environment.  If you are using a 'silent' system as
your backend (with network storage for the programs) then the space
available to standard library locations may be limited.  I agree it's very
unlikely to be true of anyone asking that sort of question (they are
unlikely to be trying to build a pseudo-embedded system), but it is
important to remember that different people have differet setups and
therefore allow for that in any replies.