[mythtv-users] Help! Auto-expiring programs

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 20:57:10 UTC 2006

On 6/21/06, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:
> kanetse at gmail.com wrote:
> > Actually, I was referring to the options presented in the MythWeb
> > interface... by "OFF" I meant that that particular checkbox was empty.
> >
> You might want to check this in the frontend to be sure the recording
> rule is set the way you think it is.

So I checked in my frontend, and it was set the correct way; as I
expected.  I believe the problem is caused by a patch that I applied
to my MythTV install which creates a number of threads for the
scheduler and the backend to prevent stuttering.  When the first
occurrence of the show finishes, the scheduler doesn't kick in to
cancel the second recording (maybe because it's in another thread).
So the backend records the second showing and then a few minutes later
realizes that's one too many recordings and deletes the first one.

Here is the patch I applied:
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1660

It only happens if you have two showings of the same program
back-to-back, and have limited the number of episodes.  For now, I am
getting around the problem by simply only recording one showing per
day.

Here is the thread detailing why I installed the patch in the first place.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/203549?search_string=Backend%20drops%20frames%20at%20start%20of%20recording%3B%20add%20RAM%3F;#203549