[mythtv-users] MythTV Hardware Recommendations - Stability is the Key

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jun 30 15:15:26 UTC 2006

On Jun 30, 2006, at 8:32 AM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:

> On 6/30/06, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 30, 2006, at 7:10 AM, David Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> On 6/30/06, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> If you get multiple crashes a day, or even a crash every day,
>>> something is very wrong.
>>
>> Agreed. Today is my Myth system's 100-day anniversary with no
>> problems except the usual lack of sufficient storage space.
>
> They can be much harder to get working reliably when you add in HD
> and firewire.

Indeed, which is why I have a "test" system with which I am playing
around with HD, I don't want to mess up my "production" machine as
I've become too dependent on it.

But "harder to get working" shouldn't mean multiple daily crashes,
that sounds like something much more fundamental.

Rule 1 of a Myth system is to have a system that's stable in the
first place, Myth is not going to fix anything that's causing system
instability. The poster who is having such problems should make sure
that it is Myth that's causing them, if it is then try and be able to
reproduce the crashes at will, and then post the situations that
result in repeatable crashes.

But Myth can be remarkably stable. The biggest problem IMHO is that
people who tend to run Myth are people who like to tinker with their
systems, and to such people leaving a working system alone can be
very difficult.

I know, I had that problem to a severe degree, hence my two systems :-)