[mythtv-users] Solved: Re: openGL, Geforce fx 5200, and 1920x1080

Rick George linux at R-Dance.com
Fri Jun 30 03:40:52 UTC 2006

Okay- So, the whole machine was being screwy.  I disassembled it, changed the thermal paste, put it back together, and somewhere in the process everything runs beautifully now.  Processor usage is better, video card works, etc.  Still, KDE won't do openGL screensavers for me, but that I really don't care about since I have the moniter power off anyway.

> So- spiffy new TV is really nice, does 1920x1080 progressive scan.  So, that's what my desktop resolution is set to.  Graphics card is a Geforce FX 5200 -lower end, but cheap and no noisy fan on board.  So, I can't really get any 3-d screensavers to work, not that I care about that.  Google earth is really slow, and I'm only running that at about 1/4 to 1/2 of the screen size.
>
>   I'm not to worried about doing 3-d gaming on this machine, since it's mostly for TV.  I was wondering about the new opengl interface for mythtv.  Is it that hardware intensive to run the opengl menus?  Is anyone running 1080p on the svn version with opengl?

Yep.  1920x1080 with a GF4MX440.  However, I turned off OpenGL
visualizations (MythMusic) and transitions (MythGallery).

>   I'm just wondering if I need to look and fix some problems, or if opengl + 1080p is too much to ask of a Geforce 5200.

Not with the amount MythTV does...  (MythVideo and MythGallery may be
another story.)

Signup at www.doteasy.com