[mythtv-users] Myth and 64 bit OK? Seeing too many issues

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jun 30 03:35:35 UTC 2006

On Jun 29, 2006, at 9:20 PM, Greg Grotsky wrote:

> On 6/25/06, Greg Grotsky <spikeygg at gmail.com> wrote:
> AMD 3200+ on 32bit Debian using 32bit NVIDIA 8762 @ 1920x1080 /w
> deint - 60% to 80% cpu usage (depending on program)
> AMD 3200+ on 64bit Debian using 64bit NVIDIA 8762 @ 1920x1080 /w
> deint - 90%+ cpu usage (not too much usage yet)
>
> I just wanted to follow this email up, because I just found out
> that I still had the default AGPGART loaded into the kernel.  I
> just removed it and now the NVIDIA driver is using NvAGP (like it
> should be) and I now get my 65% cpu usage!  YAY!  The moral of the
> story is, if you have an NVIDIA card, DON'T USE KERNEL SUPPLIED
> AGPGART!

Perhaps true in your case, but I thought it was usually a matter of
what chipset on your motherboard was  providing the AGP interface.

The nVidia README says that some chipsets are not supported by their
driver, I believe they list the supported ones.

I guess the best solution is to try both AGP drivers to see which
gives the best result.

Also, in most cases you will have to re-compile your kernel in order
to use NvAGP, not a problem but something to be aware of.