[mythtv-users] Bob2x with wobbling OSD even at 50 Hz

Tino Keitel tino.keitel at gmx.de
Thu Jun 29 13:19:07 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 12:36:31 +0100, Dan Seddon wrote:

[...]

> Unless you have some other problem, this is a side effect of bob
> deinterlacing (the fact that Tino finds it OK for a few seconds if
> baffling) - where the detail is small such as small fonts.

Maybe I should describe the behaviour of my MythTV in more detail:

1. I switch to LiveTV

2. The channel starts to play

3. I activate the info OSD while watching LiveTV

4. Usually, the OSD flickers. But sometimes, it changes from flicker to
   a stable picture and stays like this for a while (the time varies
   from less than one to a few seconds), while LiveTV is running

> Each field is generated (on alternate frames) by interpolating the
> neighbouring fields - in the case of a hard edges (such as in a font)
> this will bleed in to the interpolated field (which being on every other
> frame will cause a jitter), it would only possible to get rid of the
> problem by overlaying this detail after the deinterlacing has been done
> (maybe that's possible in the case of the OSD???) or with some fairly
> heavy duty image processing. Most broadcast text should be big enough
> not to be made too horrible by interlacing - I can't say I get bothered
> by it much although it's there. The OSD is a bit nasty at it's default

I could live with it, but having seen how it looks like with the stable
picture, I find the jitter a bad decrease in readability.

Regards,
Tino