[mythtv-users] Bob2x with wobbling OSD even at 50 Hz

Dan Seddon dan.seddon at framestore-cfc.com
Thu Jun 29 12:00:31 UTC 2006

Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 29 2006, Dan Seddon wrote:
>
>> Jens Axboe wrote:

>>> I'm in the same boat, 50Hz DVB and bob deint causing flicker on
>>> horizontal lines such as logos (at least that's where it's most
>>> noticable). On HDTV you don't see it much, on STDV it's quite horrible.
>>>
>>> So I'd very much like to know what can be done about this as well. Bob
>>> deint is the only usable deinterlacer it seems, the others all look
>>> horrible in comparison.
>>>

>> Unless you have some other problem, this is a side effect of bob
>> deinterlacing (the fact that Tino finds it OK for a few seconds if
>> baffling) - where the detail is small such as small fonts.
>>

> That's the only issue I have, apart from that picture quality is perfect
> with bob. The first few seconds is the same here for me, nothing
> changes from the moment the image is first displayed.
That's really weird - I'm pretty sure you *should* see it, so maybe you
do have something else going on??? Unless the bob doesn't start doing
it's stuff for while.

>> Each field is generated (on alternate frames) by interpolating the
>> neighbouring fields - in the case of a hard edges (such as in a font)
>> this will bleed in to the interpolated field (which being on every other
>> frame will cause a jitter), it would only possible to get rid of the
>> problem by overlaying this detail after the deinterlacing has been done
>> (maybe that's possible in the case of the OSD???) or with some fairly
>> heavy duty image processing. Most broadcast text should be big enough
>> not to be made too horrible by interlacing - I can't say I get bothered
>> by it much although it's there. The OSD is a bit nasty at it's default
>> size, but I've made mine much bigger and it's now fine. The jittering is
>> still there - but it's much less perceivable when a field is small
>> relative to the size of the text, which is why you don't see it much in
>> HDTV. My view is that the benefits of bob-deint out way this problem by
>> far - so stick with bob and make you OSD bigger.
>>

> OSD I can live with, but watching eg the news with their box graphics
> makes it look pretty bad (reminiscent of earlier days of cheaper
> computer monitors running at too low refresh rate). I should mention
> that this is an LCD TV, perhaps it looks worse there than on CRT?

That makes sense - I'm using a CRT and LCDs are hell of lot sharper (I
say this typing at work on dual montior setup - 1 crt, 1 lcd). Also I
sit on the Sofa quite well back - where I can't make it out,  it's there
on news banners (but hard for me to see).