[mythtv-users] Movies From HDD

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 05:05:01 UTC 2006

On Jun 28, 2006, at 13.07, Wim Fokkens wrote:

> I’ve read true the documentation off m-player and found the
> following key bindings concering subtitles.
[snip]
(We all know the documentation ;)

Actually, that's NOT the documentation. That's just the no-option
error page. The MAN page and the full documentation (at http://
mplayerhq.hu) contains a LOT more information. To paste it all here
would make this message megabytes, even in plaintext ASCII.
> I’ve tried all of these but I was able to get subtitles visible.
If you got them to show up, then what's the problem? Unless you mean
you can't (typos happen).
> I’ve tested this ISO file on a windows PC (using Deamon tools &
> Power DVD) and the subtitles show without any problem so the iso
> file seems fine and contains subtitles.
>

> Is what I want not possible with Mythtv/M-player or am I doing
> something wrong.
Well, what is it you want to do? I'm a long time MPlayer user, and
I've played videos from the hard disk, optical discs, with subtitles
interleaved (MKV, OGM primarily), separate files, and as part of a
VOB stream. Never had a problem.

Here's the trick, though. MPlayer is very much centered around the
command line. THERE IS NO DVD MENU FUNCTIONALITY FOR MENUS. They're
working on it now, but it's still very experimental. More than
likely, your copy of MPlayer is ages, nay, eons out of date.

You can rig a button to cycle through the available subtitle streams,
as indicated in the documentation. If you want to select this through
a menu, or HAVE ANY MENUS, you will have to use a different video
player. Ogle is known to have this functionality, but the player of
choice is Xine, which is very stable, and has enough commandline
functions to be able to set the important things (full screen,
deinterlacing, scale to fit screen), but also has enough runtime
options to make it work if the settings aren't to your liking.

I think Xine comes pre-packaged in KnoppMyth (My only KnoppMyth
system is exclusively a back-end, so I've never tested it). If not,
just use Apt to install it (the exact line will be, as root, apt-get
install xine)

Oh, please don't top-post.