[mythtv-users] Anyone using a USB wireless adapter on an Xbox?

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 05:42:25 UTC 2006

On Jun 27, 2006, at 22.34, matt wrote:

> Jason McMillon wrote:
>> I understand that using 802.11b would not work, because you end up
>> with closer to 5 Mbits per second throughput. But, if you are using
>> 802.11G with a 12 Mbit/s bottle neck (limited by the USB 1.1),
>> shouldn't that work?

Not really. Your WiFi adapter will detect that it's on USB 1.1, and
throttle back to 11 Mbits. So, the adapter is connecting at 11 Mbits
(802.11b speed), even though it's an 802.11g access point.

Plus, 802.11x speeds are theoretical, and USB speeds are theoretical.
When I did my test, I don't know if the bottleneck was on the WiFi
or the USB 1.1 end. It could have been either one, but I'm betting
that BOTH were contributing.

Oh, please don't top-post.

>> I could always try it myself, I just have never had luck compiling
>> stuff on the xbox, and I was hoping someone was using something
>> similiar.

Bah, it's not worth it.

[snip]

>> If I can't get it to work, I could always just get an ethernet
>> bridge...

It'll probably just be cheaper to run ethernet cable to your XBox. An
Ethernet bridge is, what, $70, give or take? And I think that's for
an 802.11b bridge. I picked up a pair of 50' CAT5e cables, and a
couple Ethernet Couplers, for something like $50. That's including
tax. And hiding cables isn't THAT hard. Just throw a rug over it, or
behind a bookshelf. I'm running 50' of cable from one end of the
house, down a hall, to the other end of the house (lengthwise), and
another 50' from one end of the house to the other (widthwise), from
the second floor to the first. It's probably worth investigating,
especially if you have a good amount of data passing along the
wireless network.

[snip]

> Yeah, I would suggest a bridge. There much more flexible and no
> drivers
> to mess with. :-) I use an 802.11b bridge on my box. I don't stream
> with
> it, but it works fine for mythweb, zap2it, and the occasional ssh
> access.

Yeah, but with the XBox, we're ONLY talking about media streaming.

Oh, next time, please chop out the unnecessary bits (the tags at the
end). It eliminates unnecessary scrolling, and waste of bandwidth.