[mythtv-users] Best Picture Configuration?

Nathan Smith nsmith5 at umbc.edu
Tue Jun 27 14:58:21 UTC 2006

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Brian Van Grunsven wrote:
> When I compare the picture of live tv from myth to the picture of
> (analog) cable directly connected to my Sony HD there is quite a
> noticeable difference.  The (analog) cable's picture is much clearer.
> Myth's live tv picture is kind of blurry, there are some artifacts
> every once and a while, and the color is off balance.

You can increase the record quality of MythTV in the setup in
mythfrontend (at least I can with the setup I have). I can't remember the
exact menu sequence to get there, but it's similar to:

Setup -> TV setup -> Recording profiles (or the second to last option) ->
LiveTV (replace LiveTV with whichever profile you are using).. and from
there you can increase the sound quality, and video quality.

I don't know if your card supports it, but try pressing 'g' when you are
watching TV. This will give you options to change the contrast, color,
etc. If you can figure out a good combination that works well for you, you
can update the whole channel database at once, so that you don't need to
manually change the color settings for each channel. I made a post
yesterday how to do that under 'PCDHTV-5500 Sound and Contrast on ubuntu'

Nate