[mythtv-users] PCHDTV-5500 Sound and Contrast on ubuntu

Sam Leathers disasm at gentux.org
Tue Jun 27 02:30:13 UTC 2006

Brad Templeton wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:26:28AM -0400, Nathan Smith wrote:
>
>> Hey Sam,
>>
>> On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Samuel Leathers wrote:
>>

>>> I just got a PCHDTV-5500 card. Two issues I'm having. The first is the
>>> contrast is too high by default (looks great if I go in TVTime and change
>>> the contrast to 25%). How do I do this with mythtv to default to that?
>>>
>> I have had to do the same thing.. along with boost the color level to
>> about 80%, and the brightness to 60%, on every channel. Also, I don't know
>> if it's more the card or the software, but I found the default sound
>> configuration to be very low quality (you could hear the compression), so
>> I am now running with uncompressed audio.
>>

> This makes no sense.  All HDTV "capture" cards are pretty much the same,
> they just decode a raw bitstream out of the air, which is an mpeg-2/ts.
>
> There are no "contrast" or "brightness" settings.   It's better to think of
> what these do as a file download than a capture.   A file download doesn't
> have settings.

You're right, for HDTV settings, but the card can also handle NTSC with
a different driver (cx8800).

I figured out the contrast settings are in the mysql database, I can't
remember exactly what I changed, but I found a setting that fixed it.

I am not subscribed to HDTV service, which is why I'm using plain ol' NTSC.

Sam

--
in life, direction is everything, distance is secondary--so keep your bearings!

[KJV] Luke 5:16 And he withdrew himself into the wilderness, and prayed.

Get Firefox!!!

Exodus 6