[mythtv-users] PCHDTV-5500 Sound and Contrast on ubuntu

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Jun 26 22:07:00 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 15:10 -0400, Nathan Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Brad Templeton wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:26:28AM -0400, Nathan Smith wrote:
> > This makes no sense.  All HDTV "capture" cards are pretty much the same,
> > they just decode a raw bitstream out of the air, which is an mpeg-2/ts.
> Are you sure that the internals of the 5500 are the same as other HDTV
> capture cards? Even if it uses the same chipset, who's to know what other
> algorithms are run on the data before it is sent to the video device.
Brad is correct.

<snip>
> The "PCHDTV" option in mythtv-setup does not work at all, so I was forced
> to go with an analog capture card setting. That could be the problem, but
> I see no other option. I'm guessing the PCHDTV option is for the 3000 and
> previous cards, since the 5500 is running on a new chipset, AFAIK. Other
> than the settings problems, the playback looks superb.
You've configured the analog portion of the card, you should
use the DVB card settings for the HD-5500 for ATSC capture.
It is quite possible that the analog portion of the card has
the wrong default picture settings, I've yet to test the analog
portion of that card and most non-bttv frame capture card
require modified default picture settings.

-- Daniel