[mythtv-users] PCHDTV-5500 Sound and Contrast on ubuntu

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon Jun 26 18:36:17 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:26:28AM -0400, Nathan Smith wrote:
> Hey Sam,
>
> On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Samuel Leathers wrote:
>
> > I just got a PCHDTV-5500 card. Two issues I'm having. The first is the
> > contrast is too high by default (looks great if I go in TVTime and change
> > the contrast to 25%). How do I do this with mythtv to default to that?
>
> I have had to do the same thing.. along with boost the color level to
> about 80%, and the brightness to 60%, on every channel. Also, I don't know
> if it's more the card or the software, but I found the default sound
> configuration to be very low quality (you could hear the compression), so
> I am now running with uncompressed audio.

This makes no sense.  All HDTV "capture" cards are pretty much the same,
they just decode a raw bitstream out of the air, which is an mpeg-2/ts.

There are no "contrast" or "brightness" settings.   It's better to think of
what these do as a file download than a capture.   A file download doesn't
have settings.

Your problems are playback related, not capture related.  OTA mpegs from
HDTV capture cards will universally have a good quality contrast, brightness
and colour values in the file you're downloading.   If your playback software
doesn't play it back right something is wrong with it.

It's possible you have another card which is an actual capture card
for NTSC, and it has bad settings, so your playback settings have been
made wrong in order to compensate?