[mythtv-users] Automatic transcoding

jafa hdtv at silicondust.com
Mon Jun 26 15:38:49 UTC 2006

Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> Several things.
> 1) This is a -users question

No problem.
> 2) This is covered in the howto

It is. I read the howto and ran several tests before posting. The howto
does not solve the problem.
> 3) Don't reply to an old thread when creating a new topic.
Hidden headers... threading info... I see what you mean. New thread
created.
> 4) Enable transcoding in the recording profiles you use.

Under Recording Profiles, Transcoding, Autodetect from MPEG2 I have
configured it to transcode to MPEG4 - 800xAuto.
Manually running a transcoding job results in an MPEG4 800xAuto. It does
not automatically transcode after recording.

It is unclear from the howto if I also need to create a back-end/adapter
specific profile so I created one.

What does the "Image Size" mean for an ATSC tuner?
The howto refers to "recording resolution" which I assume means the same
thing. For an ATSC tuner will this setting be ignored? Or will it affect
transcoding?

After the "Image Size" screen it asks for transcoding configuration but
I don't see how to set the desired transcoding resolution... unless it
uses the values from the Image Size screen. If this is the case then it
won't do what I need it to do as the Image Size screen does not allow an
"Auto" configuration - I am trying to get it to transcode native ATSC
resolutions to 800xAuto to match my projector.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Nick