[mythtv-users] 3250 Firewire Help

Charles Francis charles at francis-home.com
Mon Jun 26 01:55:17 UTC 2006

> On 6/25/06, Charles Francis <charles at francis-home.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello All,
>> I was hoping that someone out here has had similar issues that I have.
>>
>> I am building a new mythtv box and would like to use firewire from my SA
>> 3250 cable box from TWC.  I can intermittently get it to perform using
>> test-mpeg2.  However, it only works if I set the box to channels that
>> are
>> available over the air.  When I try to go into the myth frontend, it
>> automatically changes it to channel 48 and I get a blank screen before
>> it
>> finally times out.
>>
>> I am running this on x86_64 with FC5 following the instructions
>> available
>> via Wilonet.  I have seen references mentioned about a sa3250 patch and
>> perhaps a different guid being detected using plugreport but have not
>> been
>> able to find the root document of these discussions.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> I had the same problem. You have to modify your channel change command.
> Look
> for the patch for you external channel changer program. You can search
> this
> mailing list and see where we discussed it before. I don't have time to
> look
> now but let me know if you have problems finding it and I will do diff on
> the original and what I have to show you what you need.
>
> Allan

I traced back to the threads where you were having the issues.  I
downloaded sa3250.c from
http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/branches/release-0-19-fixes/mythtv/contrib/channel_changers/
ran the steps in the readme, and I end up getting "Could not find SA3250HD
on the 1394 bus".  I then downloaded and installed gscanbus and changed
the following lines to match up to the output:
#define SA3250HD_VENDOR_ID    0x000014f8
#define SA3250HD_MODEL_ID     0x00000000

This was to no avail as well.

There was mention of a patch, but I could't find it out there, unless it's
already implemented into the sa3250.c that I downloaded.