[mythtv-users] Myth and 64 bit OK? Seeing too many issues

Greg Grotsky spikeygg at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 23:27:32 UTC 2006

On 6/23/06, Mark <list at onnow.net> wrote:

> Is there a performance diff on 32 vs 64 bit?  Running on athlon 64 chip.

  You guys have given theoretical answers to this question but no one has
given any proof.  Well, I've got some proof that running 64bit isn't
faster.  I have a FE/BE machine that does everything, AMD 939pin 3200+, w/
1GB ram and SATA disks.  I set it up about a year and a half ago on 32bit
Debian (after a short attempt at 64bit that wasn't successful).  I've been
running the 32bit Debian with CVS (and then SVN) myth since then, updating
myth every couple weeks and upgrading all Debian packages once a month,
kernel every few months.
  I watch OTA DVB transmissions in SD and HD on this machine.  My benchmark
is watching a stream in 1080i with deinterlacing on.  Last week I had an
issue with ReiserFS on RAID1 that caused me to lose my setup (whole other
story, I now run ext3).  Since I was forced to rebuild, I figured I'd try
64bit again.  I rebuilt it this weekend and this time it went smooth
(running Etch).  Now that I have everything running like it was, I've found
my CPU usage on my benchmark is almost out of range.  These are the results:

AMD 3200+ on 32bit Debian using 32bit NVIDIA 8762 @ 1920x1080 /w deint - 60%
to 80% cpu usage (depending on program)
AMD 3200+ on 64bit Debian using 64bit NVIDIA 8762 @ 1920x1080 /w deint -
90%+ cpu usage (not too much usage yet)

  Over the next month or so, I plan on installing a chroot of 32bit Debian
on top of my 64bit system so I can run 32bit X with 32bit NVIDIA.  I'm not
sure it's even possible at this time but I want to see if I can regain my
60-80% and it'll give me a much better comparison between 32bit and 64bit
setups for several functions.

-Greg