[mythtv-users] MythTV, Fedora 4, PVR-350 Install: Jared Wilson's Process

Russell Brown rmbzzz at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 14:34:36 UTC 2006

> ISSUE 1) I got to the point where I need to find out what frame buffer my
> device has that ivtiv-fb grabs.  I type in the command:   cat
> /var/log/messages |grep "iTVC15 TV out"
> However I get no result.  In the example there is a result like:   Feb 7
> 21:17:39 htpc kernel: fb1: iTVC15 TV out frame buffer device
> But I get nothing.  No message, nothing.  It just prompts me.

I have a working system and do not find that message in
/var/log/messages, either.  Perhaps an expert can tell us
if this has changed.

You may want to visit the installation instructions at
ivtvdriver.org  and http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto:Fedora

Jarod's guide was very helpful to me last November,
but there have been changes since then that may not
be reflected in his guide.

> ISSUE 2) I wanted to go one step further to see if things were okay with my
> process, so I successfully placed a test image on my tv with the following:
>  /sbin/rmmod saa7127
> /sbin/modprobe saa7127 test_image=1
>
> And then unloaded and reloaded saa7127 without the test image.
>
> Then I tried to play video off the card on my tv with the following:
>  /usr/bin/ivtvfbctl /dev/fb0 -noglobalalpha -localalpha

The syntax has changed, try

ivtvfbctl --help

to find the correct syntax.

  -g, --globalalpha=<on>|<off>
                        toggle global alpha layer
  -h, --help            display this help
  -l, --localalpha=<on>|<off>
                        toggle local alpha layer

> QUESTION:  Oh, one more thing.  Throughout the instructions, Jared refers to
> running "X" on the PVR350's output.  What does that mean?  Does that just
> mean using the PVR 350's output as the output for the myth system, or does
> it mean something completely different?

I think that is more or less right.