[mythtv-users] Myth scaling/deinterlacing vs Faroudja

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 23:56:02 UTC 2006

On 6/24/06, Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 02:27:32PM -0600, Robert Johnston wrote:
> > > So you either will be switching modes all the time, or leave it at 1080p
> > > and let myth do the conversions to that mode.
> >
> > Considering that Myth supports XRANDR, so it can change screen res as
> > needed, so you can tell Myth to output 720p @ 720p, 1080i @ 1080i, and
> > so on.
>
> Of course, but isn't it a bit jarring at times?

It shouldn't be. It does mean that the display will have to handle the
upsizing of content, but beyond that the only "Jarring" you would get
would be exactly the same "Jarring" that you'd get from flicking
through channels on the display, or on a STB.

Though I do agree that when driving a fixed-resolution source (Like an
LCD or plasma display) you should always use the native res. of that
display. However, if you're driving a variable res. display (a CRT,
for instance), you should run it at the content's native res. That way
the analog upsizing (Which works miles better than any digital
upsizing can) will resize the content. Though as I doubt anyone's
using a 40" CRT Monitor as a HD TV display, that's not really
significant.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston