[mythtv-users] Myth scaling/deinterlacing vs Faroudja

Louie Ilievski loudawg at comcast.net
Sat Jun 24 17:18:06 UTC 2006

> My LVM-37W1 (and unlike the LVM-37W3) has the same Genesis Faroudja
> descaler that the LVM-42W2 does. Get thee hence to
> <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/203862#203862>
> for details on my setup. In my experience, 59.94p+Bob+'OpenGL vertical
> sync for timing' is slightly, but noticeably, better than
> 59.94i+Kernel+No OpenGL.

Wow, great write up.  I missed that post while searching the archives.  Out of
curiousity, why would you use Kernel deint, or any deint for that matter,
when outputting at 59.94i?  Isn't the idea to let the TV take care of things
in that mode?

> Yes; look at Setup|Appearance|Video Mode Settings|Separate video modes
> for GUI and TV playback.

Ah yes, I forgot about this screen and didn't realize it was that flexible.

> Lastly, let me repeat what I wrote in the above-mentioned post:
>
>     With the above settings, I get what I can only describe as jaw
>     droppingly-good video output on my 37" panel.
>
> The video you will get once you have everything set up as I describe
> it will be so, so, so astoundingly good that grown men will weep
> tears and children will rejoice.

LoL, that's a very powerful statement.  I'm looking forward to doing some
crying myself  :-)

Thanks for such a helpful post.