[mythtv-users] Myth and 64 bit OK? Seeing too many issues

Martin Ebourne lists at ebourne.me.uk
Sat Jun 24 10:32:10 UTC 2006

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:26:35 -0700, Brad Fuller wrote:
> I have an Athlon64 and I gave up on 64-bit with FC2. I'm now running
> FC4-32bit with no problem. Unfortunately, 64bit just isn't there yet,
> especially on Fedora. It should be, though. What a great opportunity for
> Linux to beat the pants off of Windows.

This is quite simply not true. Sure FC2 was a bit hit and miss on 64 bit
but that's years ago now. FC3 was fine and any remaining issues were gone
before FC4.

All my machines are 64 bit, now FC5, and I haven't seen a 64 bit related
issue for over a year. Myth runs in 64 bit fine (and has done ever since
0.17) and it's been mentioned on this list several times that Isaac
develops mythtv on a 64 bit machine.

As to speed improvement it depends on your application, but almost
everything runs faster in 64 bit. This is because the old 32 bit
architecture is very low on processor registers, which makes it harder
for the compiler to produce good code. When running in 64 bit the number
of registers of each type is doubled, which helps the compiler produce
efficient code. That alone is typically worth 5% or more.

Cheers,

Martin.