[mythtv-users] Myth scaling/deinterlacing vs Faroudja

Louie Ilievski loudawg at comcast.net
Sat Jun 24 09:04:10 UTC 2006

Hi all, I recently purchased the Westinghouse 42" 1080p monitor recently
mentioned in the lists, and am finally taking my first steps into the world
of HD.  The set should arrive Monday, but I'm trying to plan ahead on how I
will set things up with my MythTV computer.

I am wondering what, in your opinions, the best output resolution would be to
drive the monitor?  The Faroudja chip that comes in this monitor seems to be
talked about very highly.  I would imagine it does a better job of scaling
and deinterlacing than the methods in Mythtv.  Therefore, should I drive this
monitor at 1080i, or do you think I should do it at 1080p?

Also, I was thinking about the fact that different recordings will have
different resolutions....some shows in 720p, some in 1080i, and of course
there's then just my SD stuff as well.  Is there a way to have the output
resolution change according to the material being played?  I would prefer not
to have myth internally scale a 720p show and send it as 1080i and have the
TV do the rest of the work.  If possible (and if this is even the best
solution), I'd like the TV to do all scaling and de-interlacing of the source
material.

Do any of you have experience with sets that use the Faroudja chip?  How do
you have your Myth box set up with your TV?