[mythtv-users] Questions: 2nd backend; PVR350 + HD3000; HD

Chris gchris at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 24 05:12:54 UTC 2006

> I have a machine that I was hoping to use for this system:
> Athlon 1400+
> 768 Meg RAM
> plenty of disk
>
> Two problems with this machine:
> No PCI Express or AGP slot, so are there any NVidia cards I could use?
> Is it enough to handle HD with an HD3000?

Short answer - NO.
You have enough machine for a backend, but not enough CPU speed or PCI
bus bandwidth to do HDTV successfully.  The HD3000 outputs HD in MPG2
format and recording that is trivial but displaying the contents of the
resulting file requires a lot of bandwidth to feed the graphics card and
an AGP slot coupled with a fast CPU is how you get it.  The FX5200 is
the best all round choice for that job and again it wants an AGP slot.
PCI Express just means a costlier card with a lower experience level at
this point.

You neeed a new mb and a faster processor.  The only real choice is do
you build an all-in-one machine or separate front and backend machines.