[mythtv-users] New system build. Looking for opinions.

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 07:38:48 UTC 2006

On 22/06/06, Brian Bosch <bdbosch at gmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW, here's a different opinion for you...
>
> I have a 160GB drive in my combined SDTV-only FE/BE unit; 160GB was
> the sweet spot in pricing vs. size when I was building my unit.  I
> have a fairly standard Fedora (FC3) install, Myth from ATRPMs, a few
> GB of MP3s, and the rest (about 137GB) available for video.  The only
> time that space has been an issue was during the Olympics when we were
> recording a ton of programming.  We haven't bothered ripping our DVD
> collection because we find it easy enough to just play the disks when
> we want to.

Pretty much the same here for my new master backend system (3 DVB
tuners/1 PVR-150) - a 200GB recording drive, a 160GB drive for music
and digital photos and about 100GB of the system drive for other
videos/rips/multimedia content. My main slave machine has another DVB
card and a PVR-350 with about 150GB for recordings.

Without the availability of HDTV here in the UK, and a seemingly
constantly reducing amount of quality programming, I'm finding this
amount of storage to be ample at the moment. I do however transcode
recordings to XVID and archive to DVD regularly so I guess this helps
to keep disk usage lower than keeping everything for the foreseeable.

I am finding however that my DVB recordings are larger now (SVN
>10000) than they used to be when running 0.18.1 but not alarmingly so
(new DVB handling?). I'm not sure what I would do with a
multi-terabyte RAID array currently, apart from impress my friends!

Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/