[mythtv-users] Database Restore Problems Please Help!

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 21 22:40:15 UTC 2006

On 06/21/2006 02:35 PM, Gregg wrote:

> I am trying to restore a database from mythtv .18 to .19.  My system
> crashed
> and I rebuilt it in fc5.  everything is up, but when I follow the
> directions
> at mythtv.org to restore recordings.  I get and error after issuing this
> command ..
> mythtv at mythtv ~]$ mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg < restore.sql
> ERROR 1136 (21S01) at line 1: Column count doesn't match value count
> at row
> 1
>
> I am assuming it is because the database is version .19  Is there a
> way to
> salvage my old recordings.

You need to restore the data into an empty database and let the SQL dump
recreate the tables if using the instructions at
http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.5 .  It will create a
0.18 database with data and then running mythtv-setup, mythfrontend, or
mythbackend will upgrade you to a 0.19 database.

If you're using the instructions at
http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.7, you'll have a lot
more issues to deal with if you try to do it in one step.  My
recommendation is to break it up into separate steps.  Proceed as above
(using the #ss23.5 instructions) and upgrade the entire 0.18 database to
a 0.19 database.  Then, export the 0.19 database, drop the database, use
mc.sql to create a new database (
http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.2 ), run mythtv-setup
(but don't do anything), exit mythtv-setup, and use the #ss23.7
instructions to pull in only the required data to get a "clean" 0.19
database.

Like the old saying goes, "Cleanliness is a lot of work."  (Isn't that
what they say?)

Mike