[mythtv-users] Multiple Tuners (Firerwire, PVR-350), Same DCT6200 Scheduling Question

Joel Turner jturner421 at aol.com
Wed Jun 21 14:55:52 UTC 2006

daworm at comcast.net wrote:

>Allan Wilson wrote:
>

>>It's late but can't you just setup multple listings and then tie the
>>different inputs to  those listings and then make sure for instance that
>>your firewire input does not have the mlb channel in it's listings so
>>they won't even fight. I do something like this but I may be completely
>>missing your problem. If I am try to restate a different way.
>>

>The OP's problem is that there are two input sources in MythTV (one
>firewire, one composite) that both use the same cable box.  If you are
>using one input source, say the composite, and the other input source
>has a program scheduled at the same time, it will disrupt the other by
>changing the cable box channel.  The easy way to get around that is to
>get a second cable box, but that adds a monthly rental fee that the OP
>may not want to pay (nor do I, my cable bill is too high as it is).
>Barring that, if the software could be tweaked to link two different
>input sources, in the same way multiple input sources on a single card
>such as the PVR-250 are linked, then this situation wouldn't cause any
>problems.
>
>Jeff.

Jeff--I couldn't have said it better myself.

While I think at this time the problem is limited to myself and a small
minority of users, as firewire enabled cable boxes become more common,
this will become a bigger issue.  As it stands now, premium channels are
encrypted and my understanding is that by law, cable companies are
required to offer firewire output of OTA channels. This will eliminate
for a large majority of users in the US a DVB capture card.
Theoretically, with firewire right now I could retire my pcHDTV HD3000.
I don't because it's temperamental and I can not rely on it 100%
although this is probably due to some configuration issue on my part..
Assuming you already own a DVB capture card, using firewire does allow
you to have dual HD capture capability without purchasing additional
equipment and burning a PCI slot.

I agree with you on renting a second box.  I'm already annoyed that I
can't capture HBO through firewire due to encryption. I've already paid
for the content, I should be allowed to capture the digital signal.  I
refuse to give them any more money to rent additional equipment or use
their crappy DVR's.

Is there any way to request such a feature?  I'm not a programmer but
I'd be more than hapy to test it out for the developers or assist in any
other way.  I do think it's a feature that will prove useful in furture
versions.