[mythtv-users] Is there a distributed filesystem available?

Indulis Bernsteins indulis.b at au1.ibm.com
Wed Jun 21 06:08:07 UTC 2006

An alternative would be to have a 2nd disk, with a different filesystem on
it (run JFS/XFS on the main mythtv filesystem, and the other one on your
"backup" filesystem).

Then set up a job which permanently cycles around looking for new files
(find has an option to find files created/modified since XXXX), and copies
them to the 2nd disk. Set this up to be low priority (nice -20) or to run
at a time when mythtv is not recording. If your 1st filesystem or disk
crashes, remount your 2nd drive's filesystem as the main one.

Also, I don't think that using the Software RAID mirroring is as bad as
you say (ie days of rebuild), esp for mirroring/RAID 1.   There are alot
of other things which can cause major problems and if you have an OS
filesystem crash what are you going to do?  Days to rebuild, right?  I
think you are making life too complex for yourself and focussing on
creating a solution to a problem that is rare- there are a LOT of other
things that can bite you (do you have a 2nd power supply in your server? a
standby server?).

But that is just my opinion, if you want to have 2 filesystems, then go
for it!  It'd actually be a nice thing if mythtv could handle multiple
filesystems for storage.

Indulis