[mythtv-users] Read the question before trying to answer it

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 21 01:30:28 UTC 2006

On 06/19/2006 11:46 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:

>Debabrata Banerjee <davatar at comcast.net> says:
>
>>If I suppose nothing to meet these requirements exist, this could be
>>easily implemented in mythtv, actually it 'sort of' does it right
>>now if you use multiple backends with storage. It just can't manage
>>the storage and can't have more than one per server.
>>

>Correct; 0.20 is set to add multiple storage locations per backend and
>will thus essentialy do what you are looking to achieve (wilingness to
>accept the possibility of losing part, but not necessarily all,
>recordings if a disk goes down).

If by "set to add multiple storage locations per backend," you are also
implying, "/iff/ someone writes code that the main developers agree is
robust enough and flexible enough--in all of MythTV's usage
scenarios--to commit," I suppose you're correct.

Or, put another way, "The marketing guys have asked for the capability
but the devs haven't decided how best to implement it and may not reach
a consensus by the scheduled ship date, so the enhancement may be
deferred to a future release."

In open source, this translates to, "The capability will be committed
when it's ready."

Mike