[mythtv-users] MythTv, pcHDTV HD3000, & SuSE 10.1

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jun 20 21:13:21 UTC 2006

Chris wrote:
>> I am trying to setup a MythTv box with a HD3000 card and SuSE 10.1 as my
>> distro of choice. I have tried following posts at different sites (SuSE,
>> pcHDTV, and others), but they don't seem to solve my problems. I have
>> tried to configure it in YaST2. It supposed to use the cx88xx driver but
>> it'll list the cx8800-blackbird as loaded module. YaST2 also lists the
>> card as 2 different devices, one as a user defined tv card and the
>> config recognizes the make and model. The second one is the correct make
>> & model device, but when I try to configure it, the system does not show
>> the correct firmware/driver(I believe it should be DVB-OR53112). I have
>> posted this at other sites but, no one seems to have an answer, so that
>> is why I'm asking here. I have even tried installing KnoppMyth with no
>> luck.
>
> I had no luck at all with using Yast2 to set that card or my PVR-350 up
> in Suze 10.0 but it turned out that Yast2 wasn't needed.  My HD3000
> works fine with the following added to  /etc/modprobe.conf.local
>
> install char-major-212-3  /sbin/modprobe cx88-dvb
>
> 10.0 also needed IVTV updated to get the audio working correctly.  (I've
> got the 10.1 iso sitting on my hd but need to stock up on aspirin before
> commiting to the pain of an upgrade) ;)

One side effect of putting the drivers into the kernel as modules, is
that sometimes the kernel does what it wants and not what we expect it
to do. If you get what you think is the wrong module and especially if
you find (lsmod | grep 'cx*') that it has loaded the cx8800 module, then
you must blacklist that module (in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist in Fedora).
That file tells the kernel to ignore the blacklisted modules.

This route is faster/better than running a script in rc.local to rmmod
the unwanted and modprobe the desired modules.

The HD3000 will do both analog and digital, but of course, it will not
do digital with the analog module loaded.
There is more in the gossamer-thread archives about this.

Geoff