[mythtv-users] New system build. Looking for opinions.

Troy Beneke troy.beneke at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 18:34:24 UTC 2006

I'm going to build my first MythTV box (both backend and frontend for the
living room). I'm trying to balance performance (I'll probably be doing
quite a bit of transcoding) and affordability with this. I'm also looking to
have a relatively quite box (I'm hoping for < 28 db). I know that the
processor is probably overkill (but it was only $25 more expensive than a
slower Sempron proc and I now have the option of underclocking it for lower
temps). I'll be using it for basic TiVo like functionality as well as
ripping movies/music, playing emulated games, and basic video editing
(segmentation into clips) footage from my DV camcorder. I do have a question
about the TV tuner options below (How is the tuning occuring on the 500 with
only a single external input? Is the card itself doing the tuning or is it
relying on the STB? I'm curious how that is handled and it will determine
which option I go with).

Thanks,
Troy

Case: Silverstone LC16M
PS: Seasonic 330W
CPU: Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 nForce4
HSF: Thermaltake CL-P0220
RAM: 1 GB Patriot (2x512) DDR 400
HD: 120 GB WD
Gfx: Gigabyte GV-NX73G128D-RH Geforce 7300GS fanless PCIe
DVD: BenQ DW1650 16x DVD burner

Option 1:
TV Tuner 1: Hauppauge PVR-150
TV Tuner 2: Hauppauge PVR-150 MCE