[mythtv-users] bttv and ivtv swap /dev/video positions every reboot

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 20 18:15:27 UTC 2006

--- "kanetse at gmail.com" <kane.tse at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got Fedora Core 5 installed with 2 bt8x8
> devices and 3 Hauppauge
> tuners (1xPVR-250, 1xPVR-500).  For reasons that I
> cannot figure out,
> every time I reboot the computer, the locations of
> the devices switch
> around, which means I always need to reconfigure my
> tuners in MythTV.
> How do I fix them to the same device (i.e. bttv0 is
> always /dev/video0
> and bttv1 is always /dev/video1; ivtv takes up the
> rest)?
>
> I thought the solution was to alias them in my
> /etc/modprobe.conf, but
> it doesn't seem to work:
>
> alias eth0 via-rhine
> alias char-major-81 videodev
> alias char-major-81-0 bttv
> alias char-major-81-1 bttv
> alias char-major-81-2 ivtv
> alias char-major-81-3 ivtv
> alias char-major-81-4 ivtv
>

> # Motherboard Sound Card
> alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-via82xx index=0
> remove snd-via82xx { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0
> >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
> }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-via82xx
>
> # BTTV driver
> options bttv card=10,63 pll=0 tuner=39,2 automute=0
> alias snd-card-1 snd-bt87x
> alias sound-slot-1 snd-bt87x
> options snd-bt87x index=1 load_all
>
> # ivtv modules setup
>

> If you look at my /var/log/messages, it is obvious
> that both the ivtv
> driver and bttv driver seem to start up at the same
> time, so it's
> pretty much a case of "whoever happens to finish
> grabs /dev/video0 first.
> Any other tips?
>
> Thanks!

I had the same problem here (except that it was a
DViCO FusionHDTV5 Lite loading bttv instead of a bt8x8
card), and I fixed it by adding the line "blacklist
bttv" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.

The ivtv driver ends up loading bttv as part of it, so
it all works out for me.  I'm not sure that this is
kosher, but it's working for me thus far.

-- Joe