[mythtv-users] Is there a distributed filesystem available?

Matthew McClement mythtv at macker.co.uk
Tue Jun 20 07:38:53 UTC 2006

Tony Lill wrote:
> I think your main problem is the directory heirarchy imposed by the
> coda design is incompatable with the flat filespace that mythtv
> wants. I'm sure that you can get around that with symlinks, but if you
> go that route, then you may as well use automount and nfs. That's what
> I'm using, and, aside from not being able to use autoexpire, it works
> pretty good.

An alternative to using symlinks is to use Unionfs to achieve a flat
directory structure from several mount points. However, it has no
knowledge of fault tolerance and should a disk die, you'll have to
manually break the union and remove the broken device.

The other issue is that, AFAIK, only one member of the Union is
writable(although it looks like you can still delete files from
"read-only" volumes). You could potentially get around this by having a
cron script rotate the union membership every night(after making some
basic checks so ensure that there is enough space and no recordings are
taking place at the that time).

Matt