[mythtv-users] Is there a distributed filesystem available?

Chris Henderson jchendo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 05:59:40 UTC 2006

On 6/20/06, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/20/06, Chris Henderson <jchendo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 6/20/06, Debabrata Banerjee <davatar at comcast.net> wrote:
> > > I already have several other raid arrays in my myth box for other
> > purposes,
> > > I am quite sure this is not what I want.
> >
> > OK,
> >
> > But i dont understand. Please exlpain. You say you want a fault tolerant
> > files system, doesnt Raid 5 give you that?
>
> RAID 5 gives you a high level of fault tolerance at the cost of
> complexity and capacity. What Debabrata wants is a partially tolerant
> setup, basically a file system that can span X disks, and when a disk
> fails it only loses the files on the failed disk (i.e. 1/X of the data
> if it were full). It's sort of in between RAID 0 and RAID 5: RAID 5
> can have a single disk fail without any data loss, RAID 0 will lose
> all data when a single disk fails, this hypothetical filesystem would
> lose some but not all of the data if a disk fails.
>
> Steve
> _

THanks steve,

I understand now.
Some time it takes a while.

Also i think it would be good for (as i just said in another post) to
clarify exactly what data you want to keep. I sorta assume everything in the
/video dir as i have a very large DVD collection and losing that hurst as it
take ages to rip them all back in.

Lets not mention music or MAME.

Raid 5 for pure TV recordings isa complete over kill. in my case it is
necessary to a point.

CH