[mythtv-users] Is there a distributed filesystem available?

Chris Henderson jchendo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 05:51:21 UTC 2006

> The point is that RAID is overkill for a bunch of TV recordings. You
> don't need five nines reliability. That's why almost nobody backs up
> their recording partition. But doesn't mean that some protection from
> hardware failure wouldn't be nice.

Hi Everyone.

I just realised we may need to be a little more specific about what the RAID
array is for.

I just got "Spannked " in another post about not reading the question. But i
think that i didn't make myself clear. I agree that a RAID 5 Array for tv
recordings is just overkill, complete and utter over kill. My TV recrodings
are there untill i watch them and if i miss an epsiode of "Desperate House
Wives" i wont miss any sleep. (dunno about the wife :P)

But I have a VERY, large dvd collection and serveral old Audrey hepburn
movies (VCR) that have been moved to the Mythserver. Now if i lose them its
an issue cos of the time it takes to re rip them (i own origianls)

The 1 TB Raid 5 Array is solely for the DVD, Music and videos. tv will take
up stuff all of it. but it would be incovenent (untill 0.20 with its
mulitipul recording spaces) to not have it on the array.

CH