[mythtv-users] BBC HD stream with latest MPlayer-1.0pre8

Neil Sedger mythtv-users at moley.org.uk
Mon Jun 19 00:07:13 UTC 2006

The latest MPlayer release - 1.0pre8 posted 11th June including the
latest ffmpeg - plays the BBC's 1080i test stream downloaded from
somewhere (featuring Attenborough and a storm).

Well, at about 15fps on my Athlon64 3200+ with -nosound. (nVidia 6600GT)
With sound on its less than that and the sound cuts out after about 8
seconds so I think the stream might be a bit dodgy.
Anyway, the picture quality looks great!

That went up to about 20fps with
   -vfm ffmpeg -lavdopts lowres=0:fast:skiploopfilter=all

Thats a definite step in the right direction, but it looks like some
sort of hardware decoder might be needed unless there are major
optimisations still to be done to ffmpeg's H.264 decoder.

Apparently newer nVidia cards have hardware on board to help with H.264.
nVidia's Windows drivers call this 'PureVideo' but we are yet to see (or
I am yet to hear of?) any indication of how this hardware might be used
from Linux.

Cheers
Neil