[mythtv-users] MythArchive DVD too large

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Jun 18 17:04:42 UTC 2006

Ted Anderson wrote:
> After several successful attempts at using MythArchive, I'm stuck on
> this one: I selected 8 recordings and chose to have them written to a
> Single Layer DVD. However, the resultant ISO is 6.7 GB and will not fit
> on a single layer drive. Here is the requant section from the log:
>
> Total size of video files, before multiplexing, is 9708 Mbytes, audio is
> 620 MBytes, menus are 30 MBytes.
> Need to shrink MPEG2 video files to fit onto recordable DVD, video is
> 6354.4 MBytes too big.
> Need to scale by 2.65522271425
> tcrequant /myth/tmp/work/1/stream.mv2 /myth/tmp/work/1/video.small.m2v
> 2.65522271425
> [tcrequant] MPEG2 Requantiser by Makira.
> [tcrequant] Using 2.655223 as factor.
> [Same for all 8 entries]
> Total DVD size AFTER TCREQUANT is 6679.1 MBytes
>

> I can see that it shrank the files a little, but not nearly enough. What
> else can I do to make this work automatically? In the meantime I have to
> move the ISO to another computer (5+ hours over my wireless network) and
> use DVD-Shrink on the ISO. I'd obviously rather skip those steps.

It could just be that your pushing tcrequant too far. A factor of 2.6 is
very high.  I'm in the process of adding the UI part of the option to
re-encode files using a given encoding profile that would allow you to
fit more files on a DVD by choosing an encoder profile that will shrink
the file sizes by using lower bitrates. I'm not making much progress at
the moment with the World Cup in full swing so it might take a while :-)

Paul H.