[mythtv-users] How can I join together two MPEG2 recordings?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 05:18:23 UTC 2006

On 6/17/06, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> Mythbackend crashed (see <URL:http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1963>)
> while recording the HD broadcast of _Lady and the Tramp_ off
> ABC. Fortunately, I was able to restart the backend, which promptly
> started recording the movie again, thus only losing a few seconds'
> worth of the broadcast.

Whew!  Lucky you, you may have missed the super important part!!  ;-)

> How do I concatenate the second recording (both MPEG2, of course) to
> the end of the first?  Is it simply a matter of 'cat recording2.nuv >>
> recording1.nuv' then using lossless transcoding's MPEG2 error-fixing
> feature to smooth out the rough spots, so to speak (and, if necessary,
> edit the recording to snip out unrepairable portions)? Or must I
> resort to more-drastic measures?

Nah pretty much that's it:
cat file1.nuv file2.nuv > file.nuv (and I prefer mencoder):
mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -o file.nuv (to "smooth" it out).

> PS - Looks like Disney-owned ABC is going to regularly broadcast its
> animated films on Saturday nights for some time to come; it's shown
> both _Toy Story_ and _Toy Story 2_ in past weeks and will show _A
> Bug's Life_ next week. Given that Disney's animated backlist more or
> less never shows up on the HD premium cable channels, this may be a
> once-in-a-blue-moon opportunity to capture some of the 20th century's
> greatest works of art in 720p.

Sweet!  thanks for the heads up!  Another option is to buy the
HD-DVD/Blu-Ray version when they release it so you can spend
yet-another-30-bucks on a movie you once owned on VHS, now own on
regular DVD and want in HD-DVD...

:D

-Chad