[mythtv-users] Building a MythTV system to interface to the DirecTV H20 Receiver

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 22:45:34 UTC 2006

> I have seen the simple HDMI to DVI coverter plugs but I have not seen Linux
> based DVI capture cards....

Have you seen windows based DVI capture cards?

I haven't seen anything like that for less than ~2K USD.  There was a
link recently for a product that does do *some* of what we hope to see
sometime in our lives, but nothing even close to being "consumer"
cost.

For now, from what I've gathered, you can get HDTV onto a computer
using an HDTV tuner (http://www.pchdtv.com as well as the Air2PC5000
which I think is available at http://www.mythic.tv as well as a few
others that are "linux" compatible) or via Firewire if your cable
box/satellite box has this setup.  This only applies to unencrypted
programming.  Encrypted programming you are pretty much at the mercy
of the program providers options if you want to capture in full HDTV
resolutions.  You can certainly downgrade it onto the Svideo output
and input on a PVR-x50/00 flavor, as was mentioned above; but at best
you are looking at a 720x480 (NTSC) resolution which is nowhere near
1280x720/1920x1080.

-Chad