[mythtv-users] How to avoid problem hardware in a new system

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jun 17 18:39:45 UTC 2006

On Jun 17, 2006, at 11:29 AM, James Carrig wrote:

> My computer just up and died and I am suddenly forced in the market
> to replace it.  I need a tower and I need to run Myth and I want
> life to be easy, and so I am actively seeking to avoid problem
> hardware, e.g., the VIA chipsets.  When I scan the ads, VIA
> chipsets don't usually make the description.  Are these AGP
> drivers?  Is there a rule of thumb I can use?  For example, do any
> Dell's use these chips?

VIA makes many things, including CPUs, but they are probably best
known for the "core logic" chip(s) on motherboards made for Intel or
AMD CPUs.

Not everything they make has problems. The main problem that I know
about is that their implementation of DMA with some chipsets is
buggy. Since Myth systems tend to move a *lot* of data via DMA these
problems tend to manifest themselves more so than with the average
home system. I'm sure there are home users out there with buggy DMA
chipsets who notice no problems at all.

I'm not aware of any Dell's that use VIA mobo chipsets, that's not to
say there none. I'd stay away from Dell because they use non-standard
motherboard form factors and power supplies, making future upgrades
difficult or impossible. They also do not support anything they
didn't sell to you, and can get uppity if you have problems with a
system that you have enhanced.

Your best bet, as others here have said, is to put together your own
system. You will get exactly what you want, and you will know what
you have. You can also go to an integrator who will put together a
system to your specs, in this way you can get a warranty on the
system as a whole and not just on the individual components.

Good integrators are Monarch, IBuyPower and others. Personally I have
had very good luck with Monarch, their prices are good,the only
problem I have found is they tend to want to install CPU coolers that
I consider inadequate (though they probably do meet manufacturers
specs).