[mythtv-users] Building a MythTV system to interface to the DirecTV H20 Receiver

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jun 17 13:06:13 UTC 2006

On Jun 17, 2006, at 5:39 AM, Kyle Cummings wrote:

> I am building a "from scratch" system to record content from a
> DirecTV H20 receiver.
>
> Can anyone give me a breakdown on what card (or cards) I should be
> using to connect the H20 to the MythTV box?
>
> The back of the H20 has USB, S-Video Out, Component Out, Video Out,
> Audio Out, Digital Audio Out, HDMI Out, Phone Jack, and RF Remote
> Antenna.
>
> I guess my first question is can I record HDTV content with this
> equipment?

Essentially no. You would need an encoder capable of HD, and AFAIK
there are no consumer level devices available to do that.

Lucent does make such a unit, but I believe the starting price is
around $30,000.

If I'm wrong and such a device has come onto the market at an
affordable price I'd love to know :-)

I thought that some DirecTV receivers had a Firewire output that
could give you access to the decrypted mpeg stream, but I'm not sure
about that, and I've never heard of such being available over a USB
connection.

You can record SD, the best method would be to connect the S-Video
output to the similar input of a PVR card.