[mythtv-users] Setting up SA3250HD and FireWire

jacob jacob at heider.homelinux.net
Fri Jun 16 22:02:57 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 04:47:21PM -0500, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> jacob wrote:
> > Ok, maybe something very obvious is eluding me, but I cannot get my SA3250HD
> > to work reliably, with Myth or test-mpeg2. The work I've done so far amounts
> > to:
> >
> > Plug in FireWire connections on the box and computer. plugreport gives:
> >
> > Host Adapter 0
> > ==============
> >
> > Node 0 GUID 0x001692180d260000
> > ------------------------------
> > oMPR n_plugs=1, data_rate=2, bcast_channel=63
> > oPCR[0] online=1, bcast_connection=0, n_p2p_connections=0
> >         channel=0, data_rate=2, overhead_id=0, payload=146
> > iMPR n_plugs=0, data_rate=2
> >
> > Node 1 GUID 0x0001080038030803
> > ------------------------------
> > libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
> > libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR
> >
> >     On the advice of my readings, I do
> >
> > plugctl -n 0 oPCR[0].n_p2p_connections=1
> >
> > to setup p2p communication. I patched sa3250ch to use my vendor and device
> > identifiers, as well as modifying the CTL_CMD1 calculation to use chn << 8.
> > I've gotten it to come up once, exactly, and spit video, but attempting to
> > change the channel blew it out of the water, and I haven't been able to get
> > it that far again. Whenever I try and use it in Myth, I get strings of
> >
> > 2006-06-15 19:53:36.808
> > RingBuf(/mnt/video/mythtv/recordings/1012_20060615195330.mpg): Invalid file
> > (fd 20) when opening '/mnt/video/mythtv/recordings/1012_20060615195330.mpg'.
> > 0 retries remaining.
> >
> > followed by strings of
> >
> > 2006-06-15 19:53:37.483
> > RingBuf(/mnt/video/mythtv/recordings/1012_20060615195330.mpg) Error: Invalid
> > file descriptor in 'safe_read()'
> >
> > both of which haven't been particularly illuminating via google. Myth
> > supports the SA3250HD, so either it's completely fragile (mostly broken), or
> > I'm missing something. I'm currently using Christian Marillat's packages for
> > Debian/Sid i386, although I tried the SVN trunk with no more success. It's
> > possible my problems stem from trying to tune 5C channels, in which case I'd
> > be interested in people's methods for setting up their channel lists to
> > exclude them. If someone has a working 3250 FireWire setup, I'd be very
> > interested in how they got it set up. If I can get this working, I'll
> > definitely add it to the Wiki.
> >

> Have you gotten it to work reliably *outside* of Myth using the tuning
> commands and capturing the output to a file?
>
> Kevin

No, hence my observation about missing something really obvious. test-mpeg2
gives either nothing or garbage data. As far as I can tell, I've followed
the necessary steps to set everything up. I'm at a loss for other avenues to
pursue, other than setting up, say, a gentoo box and see if that performs
differently. I've tried both 2.6.11 and 2.6.16, for the record.

Are there other tools I should be using than the patched sa3250ch and
test-mpeg2? The direct capture of the mpeg2 data streams is my goal,
regardless of resolution. Hence the firewire connection.

Jacob