[mythtv-users] Lean Distro for Myth-Frontend

Shawn Asmussen shawn.asmussen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 18:23:46 UTC 2006

On 6/16/06, Matthias Thyroff <Matthias at thyroff.net > wrote:

> Hello, everybody,
>
> can you recommend a lean distribution for installing a myth frontend?
>
> I have a PC running now as thin client (ltsp - diskless system), which
> more or
> less works but the thin client adds some complexity for me which I would
> like
> to circumvent (I could not get sensors to work, for example).
>
> I read a post somewhere about a ubuntu based "fat diskless client", that
> would
> be ok for me, but I have not found information on how to set this up.
>
> So I thought I could install Linux on a 256Mb or 512Mb CF card, I have a
> CF-to-IDE adaptor, but it seems that Ubuntu is too large for that.
>
> On the other hand, there is, for example "damn small linux", which just is
>
> about 50MB, but I am not sure wether it will be easy to install the myth
> frontend on that... missing dependencies, too limited kernel, myth not
> available as a package...?
>
> So, here the question (again): Do you have experience with some lean
> distribution which will allow, for example, "apt-get install
> mythtv-frontend"?

Well, as an experiment, shortly after Ubuntu Dapper was released, I
installed it on a 512Mb USB memory stick, and managed to get mythfrontend up
and running using the Breezy packages. I had to manually remove some
unneeded packages to make room for mythtv though, and there wasn't enough
room for the apt cache files to live in AND install all of the things needed
to make mythfronend work, so a lot of things went in by hand with dpkg. In
the end though, it did end up being usable as a frontend, but I don't think
you'd be able to fit anything more than just the basic mythfrontend on it.
With a 1Gb memory stick or CF card, I'm sure you could get Ubuntu working
with the full suite of mythtv packages without too much trouble aside from
whatever manual steps you had to take to make it bootable off of the medium
you were installing to.