[mythtv-users] Want some advice on first MythTV build

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jun 16 16:57:21 UTC 2006

On Jun 16, 2006, at 10:28 AM, Mache Creeger wrote:

> For a client only, if you are not doing HDTV, I would seriously
> consider using an Xbox.  Versions after the initial 1.0/1.1 have
> only one fan, are relatively quiet.  They have mpeg decode
> hardware, can be netbooted, are in an attractive case, have a DVD
> player, and used on eBay or Craigslist are around $100 or so.
> Avoid the Xbox 360.
>
> You would have to put some additional effort at implementing a
> "soft mod" (or $ and do a "chip mod") to allow it to boot Linux,
> but the web is full of discussions on this.  There is a MythTV
> package specifically for Xbox.

But then he'd still need to run a backend someplace, and have it
networked to the F/E.

I agree the X-Boxes make nice frontends, so do several other small
boxes like the MediaMVP, a Mac Mini, and even some PDAs.

If you're only doing SD with hardware-encoding capture devices it's
easy enough to make a small combination F/E-B/E that will work in a
Living Room, and it's easier for a first build. Worry about remote
frontends after the system is up and running.

The X-Box would then make a nice bedroom or kidsroom unit.