[mythtv-users] Mythvideo performance

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Fri Jun 16 03:29:56 UTC 2006

On 15-Jun-06, at 12:20 PM, Ryan Steffes wrote:

> going into My Videos has a noticable delay.  I assume it's because
> I have a several hundred videos
> Gallery mode is important to me, for WAF
> Any suggestions for how to improve the performance?

The real performance killer is the "Gallery Browses Files" setting in
the MythVideo setup. If you're using myth 0.19 and gallery view and
you want directories to be seen as folders then you must have that
setting checked. Unchecking it will give you a sizeable performance
boost but, of course, your 350 videos will show up as one long list.

As Michael Dean mentioned I submitted a ticket to address a few
performance issues, the ticket is here: http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/
ticket/1569. It applies against 0.19 and, I believe, 0.19-fixes. The
main changes are to address a bug allowing gallery view to show
folders without forcing a filesystem scan and to implement a lazy
it brought start times down from 10 seconds to 1 with 1,000 videos.
Someone else with a similar number of videos wrote to say his times
had gone from minutes to seconds. So, it seems to work.

I doubt you need to change filesystems. The issues I found were
within mythvideo and the amount of querying it was doing against the
database.

- George