[mythtv-users] Feature Idea: ZeroConf Integration?

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Fri Jun 16 02:42:58 UTC 2006

Another option is uPnP A/V which has a number of adherents for
distributing multimedia around the home. A number of "set top" devices
implement the protocol for accessing shared music and video. Generally
the content is on a computer which runs the software to operate a uPnP
A/V server.

The implementation of both server and client for uPnP A/V have open
source implementations.

I have shared via uPnP my mythvideo directory and it would be trivial to
extend this to the contents of the tv recordings, although that would
only get you the file names, not details of show name, channel etc. It
enabled me to use geexbox on a fairly low powered computer to watch all
the videos on my myth machine from another part of the house.

the uPnP A/V spec has provision for tv tuners (which are obviously
similar to a video file but have extra stuff needed, eg channel change)
but I haven't seen much of this implemented. The simplest way would be
to present a directory structure with a "video" for each channel, and
set the server to switch channels and then stream when you chose to
"play" that file. Or with myth0.19 I guess it could just switch channels, go into record or watch tv mode and point the uPnP server to the right
file.

There is a specific reference to uPnP and mythtv here:

http://www.cybergarage.org/blog/archive/2004_06_01_skonnoblog.html

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 20:54:28 -0500 Ivan Kowalenko wrote:

Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz>