[mythtv-users] Mythvideo performance

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jun 16 00:44:59 UTC 2006

On 06/15/2006 04:14 PM, Ryan Steffes wrote:
> > What's noticeable mean to you?  One or two seconds, or 5 seconds,
> > or 10 seconds, or ...
>
>  Average, 20 to 30 seconds, sometimes over minute.

That's definitely not the in-memory sort.  I never had that kind of
issue when I was using mine without it (actually, the difference from
the in-memory sort is not very noticeable).

>  It only does this
>  the first time I go into MythVideo, then seems faster until I haven't
>  gone in a while, then pauses again.  I'm assuming it has to do with
>  disk access.

Hmmm...  Idea (see below).

>  I also get a similarly long delay when going into My
>  Recordings but I always blamed this on building previews, since it
>  stutters (for lack of a better word) when flipping past a newly
>  recorded show.

That shouldn't be preview generation.  It doesn't build them all before
showing Watch/Delete Recordings.  (We are talking about mythfrontend
here, right, and not MythWeb?)

> > Make sure you disable the setting:
> >
> > Video List browses files If set, this will cause the Video List
> > screen to show all relevant files below the MythVideo starting
> > directory whether they have been scanned or not.
> >
> > for the test.  Note, also, that there's an equivalent setting for
> > the other 3 views.
>
>  I do have this on, because during the transition from DVDs to avis, I
>  occasionally just stuck a ripped vob in there and transcoded it
>  later.  I'll try with it off, and see if there is a difference.

If you have that on an have:

Video List Loads Video Meta Data
If set along with Browse Files, this will cause the Video List to load
any known video metadata from the database. Turning this off can
greatly  speed up how long it takes to load the Video List tree

on that could cause the delay you're seeing.

>  Do you think going to a different distribution would effect my
>  hardware performance?

IMHO, it's not the distribution that makes a difference--it's how much
the user/admin knows about the distribution.  ;)  I'd say stick with
what you know.

>  I don't see how it SHOULD, but there would be
>  slightly different drivers and such, I suppose, so possibly it could
>  make a difference.  My machine should be significantly more powerful
>  than MythTV needs, but it always seems to be struggling, particularly
>  in the disk IO area.  That doesn't make a ton of sense to me for just
>  one PVR150.

Yeah, that shouldn't be an issue.  I built a combined frontend/backend
Myth box for a friend and he has recorded 4 MPEG-2 streams from
PVR-250's simultaneously while watching a previously recorded show /and/
he uses the Myth box as his web server, FTP server, and several other
services (and they actually get used a lot by people other than him).

Unfortunately, though, I don't know what could be causing the issue on
your system.

Mike