[mythtv-users] Mythvideo performance

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 16:20:46 UTC 2006

Those of you with long memories for detail may know that I have constant
struggles with my MythTV's performance, usually for no apparent reason.  I
have no great reason for my machine to be sluggish, but none the less, it
likes to taunt me.  I'm pretty sure my myth computer hates me.  My current
issue is two-fold, going into My Videos has a noticable delay.  I assume
it's because I have a several hundred videos ( recently finished ripped my
entire DVD collection to the machine).   I open mythvideos in gallery mode.

My current set up:
I've currently got a combine frontend/backend with a 400G video partition
spread across two drives using LVM.  It's a reiserfs partition.
The file structure is:

 \home\MythVideo\
       Action\
       Drama\
       Comedy\
       Kung Fu\
       Exercise\

As stated, there's approximately 350 video files.  Gallery mode is important
to me, for WAF.  She and I like to see the videos with covers laid out as
they might be on the shelf, and have it set to display 8 at a time, which
makes it easier to find a movie (picking a movie is still difficult.  How
can I have this many DVDs and still have nothing to watch).

Also, I don't know if this is a problem or just an oddity, when I go to play
a movie, it kicks off two mplayer processes.

Any suggestions for how to improve the performance?  I've considered going
to a difference file system, but I'm not sure it'll help.  I seem to have
performance issues in general, which doesn't make a ton of sense for only
having one PVR150 and one frontend, even running off two ATA100 drives.  I
still get the occasional lock up on this machine, seemingly related to my
ethernet driver, and I'm wondering if going to a new flavor of linux, such
as gentoo, would help.  I'm running Mandriva now, 2.6.12-12mdk.  I'm loathe
to figure out how to migrate that much data when I don't have a spare drive
around.  Growing an XFS file system a dozen times to move the data just
seems like asking for trouble.

Ryan