[mythtv-users] [SPAM?]: Re: questions about suspend with ACPI

Leighton Brough brough at baremetalsoft.com
Thu Jun 15 02:54:28 UTC 2006

>> Does anyone know if I can use mythwelcome without needing to use nvram?

Hi Mike,

Yes you can do this - I am doing so successfully. Mythwelcome assumes
the use of nvram-wakeup, and the format of the time string argument for
this is hard-coded. So I wrote a tiny Perl script to convert this to the
format used by /proc/acpi/wakeup.

I also had to unload and reload the DVB, USB and hotswap drivers. So the
back and front end need to be stopped and started too.

Regarding your problems with the video not restarting correctly, there
are four things you could try:

1) There is a tool called vbetool, which saves and restores the video
state in various ways.

2) Try switching to S3 from the console or from X. One might work better
than the other. You can 'chvt' to change to a different virtual console.

3) Your BIOS will probably have some video settings relating to S3 -
stuff like "re-POST on resume from S3". Try fiddling with these.

4) If you're using an NVidia card, you can hack the little bit of source
provided with the proprietary driver so this works correct with S3.

Googling might turn something up too - this is a common problem. In my
case (4) was the only thing I could get to work OK, and it had the
advantage of not needed to stop and restart X on suspend and resume, so
it's a lot quicker.

The time limit within which mythwelcome will not shutdown the system if
a recording is pending is also hard-coded to 15 minutes. So you need to
ensure this is set to 15 minutes in mythtv-setup or things won't work
correctly either.

To get the suspend and resume integrated with the screensaver can
probably be done using some of the X commands and a shutdown check
script in mythwelcome or mythtv-setup.

If it's helpful, I can post my related scripts later, I'm not near my
MythTV box right now - let me know. I probably should pull my finger out
and put all this and more in the Wiki. It took me months to figure it
all out for myself.

Leighton