[mythtv-users] Extracting QAM streams outside of Myth

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jun 14 19:59:48 UTC 2006

On Jun 14, 2006, at 1:36 PM, Preston Crow wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 13:22 -0600, Greg Woods wrote:
>> On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 14:44 -0400, Preston Crow wrote:
>>
>>> Not all of the streams are watchable channels.  I still want to
>>> extract
>>> them to find out what they are.
>>
>> I found the qamscan.sh script recently posted here to be useful for
>> this. It finds tunable channels and makes a channels.conf file
>> that can
>> be used by azap. You still have to go through the channels one by one
>> afterward to identify them, but at least it narrows down the
>> streams to
>> those that are tunable channels.
>>
>> http://www.tux.org/~peterw/#qamscan
>
> I'm trying to get the opposite of that.  I can get the watchable
> streams.  I want to look at the data in the unwatchable streams.

azap and the like will find all the streams,not just the watchable
ones. If you find that a strem is not watchable video couldn't you
just save it to a file and look at it with various tools (hex editor,
or try to interpret it as an image etc.).

Of course if the stream is encrypted, you will have to mention it in
a phone call, then email it to somebody, then go ask Mr. Bush what
the content was :-)