[mythtv-users] Multiple TV Tuners in the backend.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 14 16:37:45 UTC 2006

On 06/14/2006 11:45 AM, Stuart Larson wrote:
>> If one user is watching TV upstairs and another is
>> watching downstairs and the one down stairs changes the channel or
>> some recording options how do you make sure the one upstairs doesn't
>> loose his/her live TV channel.
> If they're watching the same channel, the backend will use two
> tuners, one for each viewer. (I'm pretty sure on that, anyway..)

Yep.  The only way for both to use the same tuner is for one to start
LiveTV and for the other to begin watching the "recording in progress"
created for the LiveTV.  To do this, you would need to allow LiveTV
recordings to be shown in your Watch Recordings page or switch to the
LiveTV recording group to select the recording.

Also, if the one watching LiveTV changed the channel, the one watching
it as a recording would exit the recording playback at the point during
the show when the recording ended (i.e. when the channel was changed).

So, if you don't want to lose control over your LiveTV, use your own
tuner for it.  In other words watch LiveTV, not the recording being
created by someone else's LiveTV--which is exactly how LiveTV works
unless you go to the trouble of explicitly doing something else.  :)

Mike