[mythtv-users] Firewire troubles Motorola 6412

Allan Wilson allanwilson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 13:27:43 UTC 2006

On 6/12/06, Rob Baumstark <rbaumstark at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/12/06, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
> > This didn't fare any better. The first time I went through this, it
> > briefly worked, but the first time I changed the channel in Live TV,
> > poof! Back to nothing but empty files again. Even repeating this whole
> > procedure again did not work the second time.
> >
> > --Greg
>
> There's quite a few things different between my setup and yours -
> notably that mine is quite stable, though fragile.  I just leave both
> my myth box and STB on 24/7 and that seems to work around the fragile
> part.
>
> As for getting your setup as stable as mine, all I can do is offer
> some information about how mine is setup.  My STB is a DCT-6200, using
> the onboard firewire from an A-Bit NF7-S motherboard.  Fedora 4 with
> myth .19 - pretty much Jarod's guide step by step.  I added 2 lines to
> my rc.local file - setting n_p2p_connections=1 for both node0 and
> node1 - my DCT tends to switch which node its on, so I just set both
> at boot, one will fail the other will get the DCT set.  When the DCT
> does change nodes I have to stop the backend, re-configure the tuner,
> and re-start the backend.  And sometimes after a reboot I need to
> fiddle powering things off and on in different orders till firewire
> works again - like I said, fragile, but stable once working.  The
> backend is configured to use p2p mode.
>
> One thing I have noticed, that saves some reboots when I'm trying to
> get it working, is how linux/myth reacts to firewire events.  eg. if I
> power off the DCT, plugreport still lists it.  However if I unplug the
> firewire cable from the myth-box, plugreport stops displaying it.
> Also, powering the DCT off+on has yet to change the node on me (and
> rarely breaks the firewire in myth), but unplugging and replugging the
> firewire cable quickly almost always causes a node change, and usually
> requires some fiddling afterwards to make it work again.
>
> Also - I find test-mpeg2 rarely works for me.  I get much more
> consistent results just starting up the frontend and trying to play
> live tv.
>
> Hope some of that helps.

All I can do is throw in my two cents also and say that I thought the same
thing and eventually through much trial and error I ended up getting a
fairly stable setup like Rob. But I had to do a good bit of playing. Keep
playing with it and figure out how you get video when it does appear and
then after it goes out get it back going and tweak some of the firewire
settings. This is definately not easy right now but it is new so given a
little more time I'm sure it will get easier.

Allan